Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Online Photo Copyright and Videos Response

     I cannot imagine what I would think if I were ever walking around and saw a picture of myself on a billboard. I would first be shocked, then either flattered or offended depending on the picture and what advertisement was used with my photo. But regardless if I liked the photo or not, I would feel violated. I don't think it's right for anyone, especially large companies that have billions of dollars, to take random photos of people and use them in their advertisements. Everyone has the right to know where their photo is going and who has that photo. Websites like Facebook and Flickr many people are accustomed to using... but should we all really be using them? As a Facebook user myself, I have no clue on the copyrighting issues of my pictures or anyone else's that are on Facebook. For all I know, someone may be using my photo in an advertisement somewhere else in the world. But if we think about it now, copyright issues aren't enough to stop people from using Facebook and these other websites because our lifestlyes have become so accustomed to them. (Some people are even addicted to these things!). These computer revolutions and enormous influences of technology in our lives is what truly scares me... but then stepping back to think about the series of events it almost seems logical and necessary to be a part of this all because it is what society requires of us if we want to be an active part of it.
     I know in this blog I am most likely rambling on about how confused and scared I am of technology and copyright issues online, but the reason is because I really have no opinion and am totally stuck in the middle of this. No one is telling us what's right to do in this situation and we are basically all just doing whatever we want on the internet because we either don't know what's right or just don't care because no one is stopping us. This leads me to think that the first issue in all of this is that there should be set rules and set statements that everyone is aware of before we had gotten into all of this rather than now where we are all too wrapped up in everything that we can't make changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment