Sunday, September 26, 2010

Lecture #3: Candy Depew

     I am so glad I went to this lecture even though I dreaded it terribly that day because Candy Depew is an amazing artist. Her work ranges from porcelin cast objects to ceramics and vinyl prints that are just unique and personal to her. I was most impressed by Candy's themes and styles used in her installations. I like how she incorporates drips and the smooth glossy glazes used to cover the drips really make them stand out from the rest of her installation that is fabric or some other material. Besides the cool things that Candy does, she also has been to many amazing places that I would love to experience one day. She kept mentioning a Kohler Factory and her studio in Times Square that I'm sure both were places any artist dreams of. And the last thing about Candy Depew that really interested me was her understanding of apprenticeships and the way she teaches people in exchange for help with her shows. I think it's humble and a special quality someone has if they are seen as such great artists and professionals like Candy Depew, yet they still think that they learn from young emerging artists just as much as these amateurs learn from them.

web skull pile

No comments:

Post a Comment