Thursday, October 7, 2010

Doug Bucci Lecture

     Doug Bucci is someone very in-tune with himself...and it's easy to tell just by the way he speaks about his passion which is jewelry and CAD/CAM working. I find it strange? I guess that most of the people that lecture at these things went to school at UArts which is also here in Philadelphia. But anyway the most important things Doug talked about was that people need to feel uncomfortable in order to be productive and get somewhere in life. If we were all happy all the time we'd never do anything different or new. This made me feel better about myself because I am constantly trying to be somewhere else than I currently am...not that I'm dissatisfied or high maintenance but just looking for something new. Doug's artwork definitely showed a specific theme of diabetes and anatomy-like patterns and structures. It's interesting that him and his wife actually collaborate within their careers and how much they influence eachother in positive ways. I also got the feeling that Doug is a sincere person by the way he talked about his child, wife, and the fact that he donated his one piece that was a memoir to (I forget the guy's name, but a famous man with diabetes) to the man's sister and how important that was both to her and him as the artist. Hearing Doug, I also realized that there's something so much more personal about being an artist that I don't think people can have in any other career. As an artist you get to interpret your surroundings and make sense of things, but you also greatly affect the lives of other people as well. It's truly a powerful thing.

 Marcel Wanders Adds Lace and Crochet to Designs

A Marcel Wanders piece-----Doug Bucci made sure to suggest looking him up.

No comments:

Post a Comment